[3830] TnQP N4ARO SO FixedMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 7 12:50:31 EDT 2022

                    Tennessee QSO Party - 2022

Call: N4ARO
Operator(s): N4ARO
Station: N4ARO

Class: SO FixedMixed LP
QTH: WASH

  160:
   80:   58     0       0      37
   40:   25     6       0      25
   20:   21     0       0      15
-----------------------------------
Total:  110     6       0      77  Total Score = 25,510

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Nearly a year ago my "main rig" a 40+ year old TS830S decided to
release all of its magic smoke right smack in the middle of a SSB QSO with old
friend George W4UW down in Knoxville.  As most of you experienced hams know when
a rig loses its smoke they usually quit working. So the 830 is still awaiting
attention. In the mean time I have struggled with an even older TS520 which
allowed me to make all of 6 contacts in last June's Field Day event.  The old
rig is in need of some attention also.
About that time, I chatted with another old friend down in Oak Ridge, Jim - KY4L
and just mentioned in passing my poor situation with a working rig.  Well bless
his heart Jim took pity on me and offered to send me a working TS820 which was
gathering dust in his shack with a Remote VFO and a microphone thrown in so I
could get back on the air.  What a great gentleman and true blue ham.  The rig
showed up on my front porch practically overnight and this is what I used in the
TNQP.  This operation gave the old rig a workout and while the stress uncovered
some small problems that need attention, it worked just fine to allow me to have
the fun of participating.  Jim working mobile, and his driver even stopped by on
their way around their Mobile "circle through the counties" to have a
sandwich and eyeball in the afternoon of the contest.  I realized how much fun I
had been missing. Thanks Jim. You know a big part of the value and fun of Ham
Radio is the friends we make along the way.