[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4HQK Single Op-All Modes LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 12 16:51:00 EDT 2022

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2022

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op-All Modes LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

    6:  43     13
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  43     13  Total Score = 559

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Unlike the September contest one year ago, 6 meters was--Can we say
it--"even deader"? We were just not getting much help from the E
layer. Not sure what was providing QSOs beyond line of sight unless it was thin
Es. My "DX" to the south was EM96 (Charlotte, NC--312 miles). To the
north, FN33 (Essex, VT--441 miles). Westward, the WV state line. At one point
two Ontario stations popped up but they quickly disappeared before I could call
them. That was the only "DX" I saw.

It was tedious watching the same call signs CQing over and over, myself
included, so I budgeted my time frugally across the weekend, only 5 hours in
all. The band never came to life even briefly at my QTH.

Optimistically I had registered as an "all mode" station, and for the
first half hour of the contest I worked three local stations on SSB. That was
the last time I heard SSB, and never any CW. It was almost all digital--FT8--but
no FT4 ever, despite several checks. As a result, my QSO total was one-half what
I worked one year ago.

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA

Station: Icom7410 at 100w; Cushcraft 3-el Yagi on 25' tower atop 110' hill.