[3830] TxQP K5PS SO CW Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 19 21:02:30 EDT 2022

                    Texas QSO Party - 2022

Call: K5PS
Operator(s): K5PS
Station: K5PS

Class: SO CW Mobile LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  1264    0       0  Mults = 94  Total Score = 426,166

This was my first mobile operation in the TX QSO Party and my second overall
(did mobile in OK QSO Party, again with WB0TEV in 2021.

Victor Paul WB0TEV was driver, navigator, and occasionally fed me beef jerky to
quiet my growling stomach. Got to travel many rural backroads and see parts of
Texas I'd never seen before.

It took me a couple of hours to figure out a strategy for maximizing QSO rates,
and I'm sure there's still room for improvement. Glad I had the chance to hand
out QSOs from multiple counties to those who wanted them.

There were only a couple of minor technical issues, with the first being a
problem with the N1MM "send report" macro sending the wrong county.
Fortunately I realized the problem before making any invalid QSOs, and an edit
of the macro resolved it. The second was the radio COM port stopped working
during a gas station stop. Victor performed a hard reset on the radio and a
couple minutes later we were good to go.

The gear used was straight out of the 1980’s.  The rig was one of Victor’s
FT757GXII’s and the vehicle was Victor’s 1986 Pontiac Parisienne.  The
antenna was a Hustler vertical on the right rear fender with resonators for 40,
20 and 15 meters.  An 80m one was available to swap out with the 40m but we
never used it.  Logging was done with a laptop interfaced to the radio running
N1MM+.

Top Callers were as follows (Counties/QSOs)
DL3DXX is amazing.  He only missed us in 5 counties, where admittedly were we in
only briefly.  In 7 of 30 counties he worked us on 2 different bands.  WB9CIF
was the most frequent US caller. Its always good to work Laci, OM2VL who always
makes a strong showing from Slovakia

DL3DXX 30/37
WB9CIF 25/29
W5DXS 22/22
OM2VL 18/20
W8PI 18/18
NA1NA 17/20
AC7CG 17/17
K5GA 16/16
N6TQ 16/16
WN4AFP 15/17
K9CW 15/16
WA2VYA 15/15
WA6KHK 15/15
NO5W 15/15
KT3W 14/14
WB5BKL 14/14
AA4TI	13/14
K9NW 13/14
N6AR 12/13
N5RZ 11/12
N5TJ 11/11
NS2N 11/11
N8UM 10/12
W5TM 10/12
N4IU 10/10
W3US 10/10

In the multiplier department, for US states I missed ND, DE and ID. For VE’s
only worked AB, BC and ON.  DX mults included DL, EA, F, GM, HA, OM, ON, SM, SP
and UA. 36 Texas counties were worked.

Had a wonderful time operating mobile in this contest and hope that I'll have
the chance to do it again sometime.  Thanks to all who called.

73,
Scott K5PS