[3830] 144FallSprnt N0URW Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 20 12:40:16 EDT 2022

                    144 MHz Fall Sprint - 2022

Call: N0URW
Operator(s): N0URW
Station: N0URW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:

I really like these 4 hour sprints. Just wish more did. Very few on for this one
around here. When I asked the week prior during the ssb check in nets, most said
they couldn't be on. They are busy on Mondays.  Sprint time ::: The band was in
great shape East/Northeast. I switched between ssb and FT8 as much as I could. I
wanted to catch K9JK/R this time around. Just not many rovers out for this one
around here. As luck would have it I found him right at the beginning. He was
loud and clear and I had no problem hearing or working him in all 4 grids he
traveled too. I wanted to work the guys up North, but there was a small storm
passing between me and them. The noise from lightning crashes was crazy bad, so
I decided to wait for it to pass. As I was turning away from all the noise I
heard/worked  W1QC in EN54 (225 miles away) I know it's not really that far
away, but with the noise crashes it was a really tough contact to complete. As I
pointed the beams to the South/Southeast, I found some of the regulars that use
this band on a daily/weekly bases. They all sounded great as always. I was on
the ON4KST chat and set up a ssb try with AJ6T in EM66 (408 miles away).  No
problem hearing/working Walt. With the band being in great shape East and
Southeast and no other contacts to be found. I thought I should give Northeast a
try. But by now the storm North of me had moved farther East/Southeast. It was
right between my grid EN41 and EN82.  I set up a ssb try with VA3IKE which just
happened to be in EN82 (455 miles away)  I could hear someone calling, but
couldn't make it out. We switched to FT8. Still nothing. It wasn't until I
pointed South of the storm due East, He pointed due West just North of the
storm. We had no problem completing the contact. A little temperature inversion
curving our signals around the storm maybe ? By now it was getting late and most
had pulled the plug East of me. I pointed up North as the storm was gone and it
was quiet now. Several calls up North went unanswered. I picked up a couple on
FT8 which could of easily been done on ssb, but hey, contact is a contact at
this point. I heard there was some FM activity. I spun the beams around but it
was all to far away and too weak to copy or stations already worked on ssb.
Seems like most went to bed by 9 to 10 PM. Maybe these sprints should start at 5
PM. I really wish more had got on for this. I took the time to set up a few 222
skeds for the next sprint.
After it was over I talked with K9MRI EN70 (323 miles away) Signals were great
on 2 meters. We tried on 432 and again, signals were up. When we tried 222 it
was as good as 2 meters. Hope it's this good next week.  I hope the weather is
good too. Until we meet again :0) 73, all.