[3830] 144FallSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 20 14:16:01 EDT 2022

                    144 MHz Fall Sprint - 2022

Call: NV4B/R
Operator(s): NV4B
Station: NV4B/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: GA

I operated from Raccoon Mountain in EM75ha and Lookout Mountain in EM74gv with a
total of about an hour of in-motion activity in between stops and at the end.

Activity started out being decent, but a good bit of it died off before the
halfway point in the contest.  A contributory factor may have been that
conditions were not as good as they were for the 144 MHz Spring Sprint.  Thanks
to the small but dedicated group of operators in TN, AL, and GA who stuck it
out.

All contacts were FT8 except for one SSB.  I tried 144.200 and 146.52 multiple
times with no luck.  Power out was 100W.

I had a major Murphy moment when, as I first set up at Raccoon Mountain, the
threaded insert in my beam's driven element came loose and ended up inside the
feedpoint box.  Being unsure as to how to open it and with precious few minutes
before the start of the contest, I resorted to tape to hold the driven element
in place on the boom.  This was mostly successful.

Here's hoping for more activity in the upcoming Sprints.