[3830] 222FallSprnt N2SLN(@N2SLN/P) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Sep 28 09:42:30 EDT 2022

                    222 MHz Fall Sprint - 2022

Call: N2SLN
Operator(s): N2SLN
Station: N2SLN/P

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN22

Drove to my eastern FN22 hilltop a half hour early and began waiting for some
dry time to go out and set up the 10-el rover Yagi. There was none. Two minutes
before sprint time I crawled into the cargo area of the van and made sure the
antenna switch was on the loop permanently mounted to the roof, thinking I would
at least be able to work a few of the bigger stations with that. Then, of
course, as sprint time started the rain stopped, so I used the first 10 minutes
of the sprint to set up the Yagi on a short mast. Got 9 in the first hour, 10 in
the second, 3 in the third. There was an intermittent data transmission every
few seconds from one of the nearby installations that was ruining my otherwise
quiet receiver, and some other type of crackling noise I had not heard at this
location 5 years ago when I was last here. A single bandpass filter was good for
getting rid of the TV channel 13 transmitter interference, but isn't enough for
these other noises, so I will have to try two when using this hilltop for 222
sprints again. Best DX was my first contact, N1BUG FN55 (349 mi / 562 km). Best
to the west was VE3ZV EN92 (289 mi / 464 km). Best to the south was WA3EOQ FM09
(302 mi / 486 km).