[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N7DSX/R Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 1 11:18:56 EST 2023

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2023

Call: N7DSX/R
Operator(s): N7DSX
Station: N7DSX/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  1.2:   37
  2.3:   11
  3.4:    7
  5.7:    7
  10G:   11
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  244    61  Total Score = 44,530

Club: Arizona VHF Society

Comments:

We had our problems on the rove, but the good was way better than the bad.

We have a new spot to go anytime we are in DM51 with the blessing of the
slightly tipsy owner. When we were lowering the mast in DM51 after an hour or
so, I realized that the 5/10G dish had lost some of the standoff bolts. We were
lucky to find that they didn't make it very far as I found them on top of the
van. Then the dish decided it didn't want to rotate so I had to take the cover
off, return it to 0 with a wrench, and remove the dish from the rotor between
grids so it didn't catch the wind and fly away. New grid? Back up on the van to
bolt it to the rotator plate. Time to go? Back up on the van to take it off and
stow it til the next. Rinse, repeat....

We had a surprise visit from my (and countless others) satellite Elmer, Patrick
Stoddard WD9EWK, who just happened to be out helping a satellite ham on a grid
chase from Palm Springs. We got to show him the van in contest mode and even got
to make some rover to rover contacts with him. That was one of the highlights of
the contest for me.

We (XYL and I) were able to simplify the PTT process for our transverters that
are run off the IC-705 and instead of handing over the mic while I work the PTT
trigger, we now have the 705 key the PTT switches and we are using the Icom VS-3
Bluetooth Mic to transmit. It removed an unnecessary step and a jumble of wires
on the desk.

All in all, I think it was a good time, but it was a little quieter than we
would have liked. We clocked just under 600 miles on the Newsvan, and I got to
spend the weekend in close quarters with my favorite person, the incomparable
K7LSX/R.

Not a bad way to spend the weekend and we didn't even have to turn on the roof
AC unit. =)

Looking forward to some changes for June.

73 from AZ