[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N0LD/R Unlimited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Feb 4 13:46:13 EST 2023

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2023

Call: N0LD/R
Operator(s): N0LD W0HGJ
Station: N0LD/R

Class: Unlimited Rover LP
QTH: OK

  1.2:   61    10
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  433    68  Total Score = 72,228

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

The Oklahoma Convergence:

Several Operators in Oklahoma and Arkansas (N0LD, W0HGJ, K5SRT, KB0YHT, KI5RHN,
KM5OX, N5ZY, KI5VZJ, KC0MTM) decided to get together and do some synergistic,
grid -square circling, line-dancing. Our primary purpose was to put several
rovers on the road at once in Oklahoma and Kansas to introduce four people to
rovering: KM5OX, KI5RHN, KI5VZJ, Cyrus Compton.  Cyrus is 13 years old and is
studying for his license: Cyrus helped log and did a great job!

The teams consisted of 5 rovers:  N0LD/r, K5SRT/r, KI5VZJ/r, N5ZY/r, and KM5OX.

N0LD/r   - Randy-N0LD,    Harvey-W0HGJ
K5SRT/r  - Ross-K5SRT,    Nick-KB0YHT, Nick-KI5RHN
KI5VZJ/r - Ashley-KI5VZJ, Samantha-KC0MTM, Cyrus Compton
KM5OX/r  - Don-KM5OX
N5ZY/r   - Marcus-N5ZY

An Honorable Mention goes out to KX5S; he operated portable from 3 grids and he
worked some of the OKRovers from home towards the end of the contest.

The unlimited rover category is a great training area for new rovers with
limited radios, antennas, and developing skills.  It teaches the planning,
discipline, mechanics, strategy, the tactics of rovering.

Our OKRovers group is designed to share our joy in rovering with others.  We
will post pictures on the ARRL website, but our website is great for seeing the
pictures in our history:  www.okrover.info.

We also have a Facebook group that shares our successes, trials, and
tribulations:   https://www.facebook.com/groups/1766056970371203 or you can
search "ARRL VHF Contest - N0LD Rover".

The OKRovers are trying to develop members into Classic and Limited Rovers.
Occasionally you will see some of us spin off into these areas.  We really enjoy
the thrill of a good long-distance set of contacts from high points in the OK
surrounding states.