[3830] RTTY WPX K7HKR SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 13 00:52:35 EST 2023

                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2023

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: AZ

2el each on 10m and 15m at 28ft, resonant ground-mounted vertical on 20m and
40m, 100W, IC-7100 and IC-7300 (thought the 7100 had failed and switched to
7300; thankfully a non-rig issue) and fldigi for decoding

This was the first time since I moved to my new QTH last July that I’ve been
able to operate with most of the initial antenna setup I wanted (20m Yagi and
vertical last weekend to have my first ever full-size antenna on 40m.  I had to
make some last minute adjustments to the 10m/15m antenna and mast after work on
Friday.  The antennas worked great!

My goals were 300 QSOs and 100,000 points within about 20 hours.  I had a long
week and some stuff to do over the weekend, so I missed most of the daylight
hours, but was okay in total time.

Having an unobstructed view to the northwest sure helps when working Asia!  Of
course, the Sun is helping a lot.  Worked a lot of DX on 10 and 15 late
afternoons and evenings.  20 wasn’t very impressive and I didn’t really do
much there until the end of the contest.  I went to 40m as soon as possible both
evenings.

My contest was 90% S&P, but I did run a nice string of 10 JAs (and a few
others) on 15m Saturday evening in 15 minutes.  A total of 52 JA QSOs mostly on
10 and 15 (and 6 BYs).  Saturday evening on 40m was similar to Friday, but I did
stay up late enough to work a few JAs.  Very little EU, but I wasn’t on during
daylight mornings.  I finished well on Sunday, averaging 32 QSOs per hour
S&P (mostly domestic) from 1950 to 2319 when I quit.  Stumbling across
Namibia was the biggest surprise of the contest, an ATNO if confirmed.  I'm very
happy with how things went and had a lot of fun, not sure how much was the solar
conditions and how much was the new QTH and antennas.

Thanks for all the Qs; for those who’ve worked me before, hopefully I was a
little louder this time!