[3830] ARRLDX CW K4BAI SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 19:32:03 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 34:24

  160:    0     0
Total: 2374   339  Total Score = 2,414,358

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Now that was fun!  That's what contesters have been waiting for from this
sunspot cycle.  My beam still doesn't work.  There is no antenna that will load
on 160M.  Ants are 80M inverted vee dipole; 40M dipole, 20M dipole, 88' center
fed zepp.  All at 40' or below.  Had expected to just have a relaxing weekend,
get plenty of sleep, and operate when other commitments allowed.  And it started
out that way for the first four hours.  Then I took off bout 8 hours for sleep.
But, 10M was fantastic in the morning.  Using the zepp I had a never ending pile
up of callers, mostly Europe, but a few North Africa, South and Central America
and the Caribbean plus a few from western Asia.  So, plans changed.  Only got
about 3 hours sleep the second night.  Was able to my surprise to to run on all
five bands, including 80M.  Lots of good DX.  Rig is TS950S and Alpha 78 at
about 1 KW.  The broad band tuning allowed quick QSY (but of course not as good
as the KPA1500 tjat isn't is service because of its' not handling SWR well.
Used a Palstar AT1500CV tuner with the zepp.  Thanks for the QSOs.  I'll likely
not do as well on the SSB weekend.  73, John, K4BAI.  P.S.  When 40 daylight was
damping down 40M, 20M was open to Europe )and Asia, and VK, and ZL, etc).
Signals weren't great, but contrasted with CQ DX European sunrise openings when
signals from Europe are weak and they are pointing their antennas at each other
and no one is beaming on purpose to NA. everyone in the contest has the antennas
pointed at NA in the ARRL contest.  Look for the same opening during the SSB
weekend.  (On rare years, there will be a 15M European sunrise opening too.)