[3830] ARRLDX CW N1RM SOUAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 19 19:44:06 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N1RM
Operator(s): N1RM
Station: N1RM

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 32:23

Total: 2502   414  Total Score = 3,107,484

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of things a little. I actually spent a
little time researching previous attempts and set what I thought were reasonable
goals of 2000 Qs and 400 mults. I took one 45 minute break for dinner Friday
night and kept going until about 9pm Saturday. That was my longest continuous
BIC time. When I went to bed, I had already gotten my 2000 Qs and had about 380
mults, so I felt like I could sleep!

I had church obligations Sunday morning so I got back into the chair around
noon, and then operated continuously until the end of the contest accumulating
over 32 hours of operating time.

The bands on Friday and Saturday were so good that I was able to sustain good
rates with S&P. When the bands thinned out a little on Friday night I
started running and got pretty comfortable between 11pm and 4am. Even though I
got a solid night's sleep Saturday and felt fine, I had much more trouble
running on Sunday afternoon. I still have a long way to go to with my CW skills.
 It didn't  help that I had a long stream of QRP stations and every time I asked
for a repeat it seemed like someone was sending QRL? on top of them. A steady
stream of JA's on all bands except 80M really helped my score.

I had one station that refused to work me as a dupe and spent more time saying
"no" than he would have if he had just worked me again. It was
probably my fault that he wasn't in my log, but there is a small possibility
that he miscopied W1RM in his log. I think it was a multi, so I came back
several times over the contest and even sent "AGN PSE" a couple of
times which seemed to confuse things. Oh well...

I have now set new bars for myself in score, Qs, and operating time, but I don't
think I will crack the top ten until I improve my skills and install an SO2R
setup (or about a dozen of the right folks forget to enter).  For now, though
I'm happy.

I guess there aren't very many PVRC members who I can thank for QSOs, but I will
thank the incredible operators who kept ahead of me on the online scoreboard. At
least I was able to have the same number of digits in my score as the top
score.

The station was great. All that over-engineering is paying off!

73,
Rick
N1RM
K4, A2000, DB18E at 75'.