[3830] ARRLDX CW WN4AFP SOSB40 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 00:43:51 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: WN4AFP
Operator(s): WN4AFP
Station: WN4AFP

Class: SOSB40 LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  343    67  Total Score = 68,943

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

I spent a lot of time in the 40m jungle this year and I decided to do it alone.
Yes unassisted. I only took my big knob with me in to the wild and crazy 40m
jungle. I hadn't done the single band thing in a long time and it worked
perfectly with my weekend schedule. The prop was very good on Friday evening
into EU. Stations were very strong and lots of them. I was on solid until 4:00
am. I made 238 Qs on the first night. Day 2 started around 2230Z and I was on
until around 0500Z. Rate went way down. I had plans to wake up early and catch
the VK/ZL openings, but it didn't happen. That was a major mistake. So on
Sunday, my only opportunity was the final few hours of the contest. I made my
first Q at 2215Z and kept going until the end. When operating SB40, the last few
hours are very strange because it seems like every station you hear is a duple.
So I spent most of the last two hours in RUN mode. The band finally opened for
me around 2300Z. I enjoyed the contest and I'm thankful for all the Qs. I did
hear my fellow Swamp Fox KY4ID running multiple times on 40m. KY4ID finished
with a very solid SB40 score.

Around 1400z today, I decided to make some contacts on the other bands. So I was
spinning the big knob (VFO) on my IC-706MK2 and suddenly, it almost stopped
turning. It was like I needed to use a wrench to turn it. I used it so much the
previous day, that I broke my big VFO knob. Even when I operate assisted, I love
spinning the knob and flying up and down the bands. So I had to rely on N1MM
keys to move my frequency. I'd prefer the big knob, but I adjusted to the
situation. I hope that I can get the knob working for my next contest.

Congrats to WA3AER, Ted for putting up a top score in the SB40 category...Ted,
we'll need keep an eye on KY4ID next year. 73s until then! Dave WN4AFP