[3830] ARRLDX CW N1LN SOUSB15 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 10:11:24 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SOUSB15 HP
QTH: NC

   15: 1843   116
Total: 1843   116  Total Score = 641,364

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow – what a fun weekend! I wanted to enter the ARRL-DX CW in the SOUSB15 HP
class, but only if the conditions would support that. My success, or lack
thereof, on Friday night would be the determining factor. The single band class
is excellent for me as I am not a marathon – never sleep – type of contester
and the typical 15 meter openings align with my desired schedule. The band and
propagation conditions certainly did not disappoint. It was really fun to run
JAs, work several BAs, VKs, ZLs, YBs and one XV (3W) and several other locations
in the first two hours of the contest.   My decision was made.

Saturday morning 15 opened here about 11:00 UTC and EU signals were strong and
rates were excellent. It would have been even better if I didn’t have an
antenna issue. Around 1600 UTC my ACOM 2000A started to fault when using my
second antenna. After about 45 minutes of troubleshooting a bad barrel connector
was replaced at the base of tower 3. It was an easy fix, but shut me down during
prime EU run time. I still had my run antenna (JK mid-tri) but I keep my T10 Log
pointed at the second most probable compass heading. At this time it was SA and
the Caribbean.  Fortunately that was the final equipment failure of the
contest.

I enjoyed additional JA runs both Saturday evening and Sunday before shutdown.
This is the first contest since moving to NC from Houston, TX to have my JA QSO
count exceed my DL QSO count. I ended up with 234 JA QSOs and 232 DL QSOs.  I
run in assisted mode as I also enjoy jumping in and out of the huge pileups for
the new spots. Occasionally my timing works out and I am fast enough with the
jump to the spot and back to the run frequency before someone moves in. A few of
the successful jumps were with 9N, FY, 9K, MI5, 7U7, 9N, and ZD7. Certainly
helps the Mult count.

I am looking forward to seeing all the excellent postings on 3830 for all
classes and to see where I end up in the SOUSB15 class.  The excellent
conditions will certainly result in some very high numbers.

Finally, I must once again voice my standard and recurring complaint about KEY
CLICKS. There were many CLICKY stations the weekend, but one in particular
stands out. I was enjoying a great EU run and then the clicks started. I had to
move 800hz down to find the offending signal. This continues to be very
aggravating when it doesn’t need to be. Clicks can be fixed if the station
owner(s) want to take the time. At other times I was within 250 – 350 hz from
other big stations with stronger signal levels and I didn’t know they were
there.  Congrats to them and me - I hope!

Thanks for the Qs, repeats and a fun weekend on the air.

73,
Bruce N1LN