[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3VN SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 10:12:59 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36
OpMode: SO2R

Total: 3321   385  Total Score = 3,810,345

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

In the 3 days before the contest, I replaced the operating desk, rewired the
station, wired up more relays and whatnot for station automation, and then
rebuilt the two operating positions. An hour before the contest I had a
soldering gun in my hand. At that point I was sufficiently tired that I decided
my entry would not be too serious.

Add to that the weather: ice. Half my antennas were under-performing, bent under
the ice load or unusable. With a rise in the temperature, the yagi elements
sproinged back to horizontal and seemingly no lasting harm from the ice load.
But it had quite an effect on my operating for the first 3/4 of the contest. On
80 meters the SWR on the vertical wire yagi was very high and I was limited to
400 watts to keep the amps from tripping. Similarly for the high yagis of the 15
and 20 meter stacks. Luckily the 40, 10 and tri-band yagis performed well
despite the ice.

I took several breaks the first evening and didn't stay up too late. Despite all
the woes I really got into this contest. As everyone knows, the bands were
fabulous, and the raw scores show that. So I hunkered down and salvaged a good
score. I did 2BSIQ now and then but I had enough trouble dealing with one pile
up and two was beyond my ability except when there were fewer callers. But I was
very happy to have that problem!

All said, what a great contest weekend this was. Spring tower season is only a
few weeks away.