[3830] ARRLDX CW KH6AQ SOUAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 10:36:09 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: KH6AQ
Operator(s): KH6AQ
Station: KH6AQ

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: PAHOA, HI

  160:    0     0
Total: 2310   243  Total Score = 1,683,990

The 2023 ARRL DX contest for me was simply excellent. It was my first time
topping 2000 Qs and little sleep was lost doing it. Operating time per local day
added up to 8, 13.5 and 10.5 hours minus many quick feeding breaks.

My operating skills have improved slowly but surely since this time last year.
Only 3 months before that I was introduced to running KH6LC's station. For the
decades up to then I was strictly a S&P op running LP/QRP to simple
antennas. After thousands of Morse Runner Qs and even more actual contest Qs in
the past year I find I can now operate for hours with minimal fatigue. While not
where I want to be yet, I did maintain rates of over 130/hr for seven hours of
this 'test. Practice, practice.

Right up to the day of the contest I was still undecided as to running 100 watts
or 500 watts. The anticipated CME arrival at the beginning of the contest tilted
me toward high power. Well, if it arrived I never noticed and conditions seemed
quite good the first day.

At QSO 1700 the amp failed and it was 100 watts for then on. I was surprised at
how effected LP is even on 80 and 40 meters. The amp failing may be a blessing
in disguise as I felt free without the amp to drag from band-to-band. And, no
more fan and relay noise hour after hour. Although I can change bands quickly
those seconds add up after 50 band changes. Running barefoot a band change is
just a mouse click away. Early morning around 0400 local time proved to be a
good time for the low bands and I will focus more on 80 meters next year. The
Hexbeam will probably still be here next year but I do have plans to improve the
low band antennas. Maybe I can pick up a few mults on 160.

FTdx-10
AL-811 amp at 500 watts until QSO 1700
N1MM
Hexbeam at 33' (effective height to NA is ~25')
40 meter vertical

FTdx-10
AL-811 amp at 500 watts until QSO 1700
Hexbeam at 33' (effective height to NA is ~25')
40 meter vertical
80 meter inverted-L