[3830] ARRLDX CW W1WEF SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 12:39:15 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ct

Total: 3065   350  Total Score = 3,218,250

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

On Friday morning I wasn't very excited about doing the contest, so I set a goal
of 1000 Qs. My amplifier had died on Tuesday, and I hate running low power...I
like to make it easy. On Wednesday however I was offered another AL1500 from the
widow of a good friend, but I couldn't pick it up until Friday morning.  Well, I
don't literally pick up AL1500s...I have to take the 35# transformer out after
removing the 31 cover screws, and carry it in two 35# halves.  I reassembled it
at home and it fit right in and worked fine. I was no longer depressed over
being weak! (I was thinking signal strength but double meaning...hi)

I still had no intention of making an all out effort, because I've had
difficulty with leg cramps sitting for hours on end. (I hope the flights to and
from Dayton in May aren't delayed on the tarmac...I return home via Tampa). I
started on 40 and thought I'd "swarm" the band moving up the band from
the bottom up as Dean Straw once called what I did, but  that was a long time
ago. That must have been in a CQWW but this time I found mostly W's running, so
I found a spot and ran on 40 for an hour before going to 80 kind of early. There
was NO-ONE at the bottom of 80, just noise. Thought I may as well try it so I
called CQ and a great pileup ensued. I love pileups and I love to run. Listening
on my beverage which I finally got around to walking a few days ago in our
irresistable spring-like weather, and transmitting on the 4 square was the best
combination of antennas and I had a great run of about 200 Qs. After enjoying
what I love doing best, running, I decided that's what I would do for the rest
of the contest . I raised my goal to 2000 Qs.

At 11:15PM local I decided I needed to sleep after a long day. Unfortunately I
couldnt sleep for more than a few hours so I got up around 5AM, showered and had
breakfast before going to 40 when I knew 20 was probably already open. I picked
up a few mults including the loudest JAs in years, and then went to 20 to run a
bit before going to ten at sunrise.  I grabbed a spot right at the bottom of the
band, and ran, ran, ran. It's always exciting when a good mult calls in , but I
wasn't swayed from doing my thing and sticking with running.

After every 3 hours at most I made it a point to walk around a bit, and even fit
in a few short naps. I wanted to make sure I didnt have my usual leg cramp  butt
in chair problems. and I felt great throughout the rest of the contest. I also
made it a point to drink constantly...no not what youre thinking, but water,
Swiss Miss hot chocolate and decafe tea. I have a Keurig and water supply right
beside me and can make tea or hot chocolate while running.  In the past, I would
drink alot of coffee during a contest, but about a month ago I gave up coffee at
a friend's suggestion and havent had a leg cramp since. I think the problem was
dehydration which isnt helped by the diuretic effect of coffee, but I've gotten
to enjoy a cup of decafe tea with honey more than I ever liked coffee.

Sunday conditions were a repeat of Saturday. With everyone spread out on 15 and
10, it was still hard to find a hole to operate in, and I wasted alot of time
way up high in the bands with a slow rate, I finally made an "it's about
time"  discovery  about how to use a radio after 70 years in the game! I
found that with a 200 hz filter B/W or even 150, I could squeeze between two
stations and run near the low end of the band without QRM or "QSY
remarks"  and get great runs going again. I raised my goal to 3000 Qs but
had my doubts.

I quit on Sunday after really enjoying my SO unassisted runs (as opposed to SO
Distracted as a famous guy once called it). I missed most of the juicy DX that I
see others talking about but I kept telling myself not to start chasing DX.  Did
I mention that I love to RUN?  My best score since 2012.

  1.8      34       22
  3.5     207      44
   7       398      61
  14      735      72
  21      695      68
  28      996      83
           3065    350     3,218,250

7610   AL1500   XM240    TH6    80 wire 4sq    160 InvL    550 ft Eu bev