[3830] ARRLDX CW K5GN(@W5KU) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 13:15:10 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K5GN
Operator(s): K5GN
Station: W5KU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 47:15
OpMode: 2BSIQ

   20: 1113    87
   15: 1328    98
   10: 1463    96
-------------------
Total: 5163   438  Total Score = 6,753,960

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

WOW

I went after it as hard as I could from the start, and with every fluttery
signal I was expecting the impending doom of the solar windstorm.  Thank God, it
never really happened.

Highlights:
 - Finding that I had the stamina to do this with only one half-hour nap.  My
XYL will now say that I'm fully recovered from surgery (in November) and will
expect more honey-do completion.
 - VR2XAN calling in through the Europeans on 10m long path Sunday morning.
 - E29TGW calling in over the pole on 15m on Sunday morning.
 - Running Europe - and a lot of Russians - over the pole on 20 Friday night
like it was 1979.
 - Working JA's on 10 and 15 like it was 1979.
 - Europeans answering my CQs on 160 in the same weekend as the above high band
highlights.
 - Working every mult I heard on 15 and 10.

Lowlights:
 - Thank God for pyridium and my fake-a-break.  Antibiotics at the pharmacy
today.
 - Realizing I had the amp in standby for at least an hour on 20m after midnight
Sunday morning.  Doh!
 - Dennis and I broke something on 10m - the really loud stations caused buzzing
noises away from their fundamental and I could not solve it.  Caused a lot of
repeats of the weaker stations.
 - I broke something in my 2BSIQ automation and simply did not have enough time
to figure it out before 0000Z.  I did it manually (!) until about midnight when
I realized that my fallback setup would work.  This surely left a lot on the
table.
 - The SE beverage was bad from the start. I figured out that a jumper was bad
at the feedpoint on Saturday afternoon.

Hat's off to AA3B for his smooth 2BSIQ operating.  I was simply not ready for
prime time when 15 and 10 opened in the morning.  I was just not able to pull
full calls out of the snarly pileups.  I was determined not to default to
running on only one band and I had pretty good run frequencies on both, but it
was very, very lidly.  I even got an email from a European saying why won't you
answer me on 15?

But overall, I'm very happy to post a new personal best.

Thanks to all, especially Dennis, W5KU, for a very intensely fun time on the
radio.

Dave, K5GN