[3830] ARRLDX CW PR2R(PY2ZEA) SOUSB10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 20 19:58:27 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: PR2R
Operator(s): PY2ZEA
Station: PY2ERA

Class: SOUSB10 HP
QTH: GG58ct

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    0     0
   10: 1343    60
-------------------
Total: 1343    60  Total Score = 241,380

Club: Araucaria DX Group

Comments:

In past years, I used to work this contest at the PS2T superstation,
but now that QTH was sold to a non-ham - and PS2T is QRT.

This time, my QTH  was the Radio Club of Ribeirao Preto, CRRP.
The original plan was to operate M/S on several bands, but all
of the club´s CW operators had other life commitments,
thus leaving the "Old Man" to do the job alone.

Rig: Elecraft K3 + LK-800C amp with 1000 W output
Ant: 5 el monoband 27.5 MHz CB yagi, up just 8m/24ft
This Citizen Band ant has an SWR 1to3 on 10M CW.

With an antenna tuner, an SWR of 1to 1.1 was achieved on 28050,
and the linear was happy, working flawlessly with 1K output.

I chose 10M single band, leaving a lot of "free" time to be with
the family, taking a walk, sleeping well, etc. Good for the "Old
Man".

10M is open here to NA about 13h daily, from 12Z to 01Z
>From 12Z to 16Z, NA stations are all beaming at 40 degrees,
and run good EU pileups to benefit their rather short opening.

We here in PY2 are 90 degrees (-30 to -60 dB) off from this NA-EU path.
So, it is for us very difficult to penetrate this NA-EU wall at 12-16Z,
even when 28 MHz band is fully open to NA.

A second antenna, maybe just a GP, could help NA stns to fill
their sometimes empty CQs to EU with about 50 SA stations.

Ten is great !
And will be even better along with the still increasing Flux and Spots !!
See you next in the WPX CW in May

73, Ville PY2ZEA OH2MM etc.