[3830] NAQP CW NX5M M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 15 02:35:07 EST 2023

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M N5XJ NW7DX KU5B
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX

Total: 2211   309  Total Score = 683,199

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Have not done this one in a while.  Spent some time over the last week or so
working on remote operation so the ghost of KU5B, who probably operated off and
on for roughly 6 of the 12 hours, could operate the station remote from his out
of state location.
This was the first real test of this engineering feat.  It seemed to work pretty
well most of the time.  Over 700 qsos went into the log via the remote setup
which was utilized on three different operating positions. N5XJ and I were
available for the entire 12 hours.  NW7DX arrived about 1940z and put in several
hours before departing around 0300z.
Sorry for the lack of ears on 80m.  Not sure what is going on but basically just
ended up using an east/west receive array as northeast was acting flaky and
northwest sounded practically dead.  May have been a bit weak to the northwest
on 40 as well.  Did not have a northwest antenna so I untangled all the wire
from an old 2 element delta loop I had built from years ago and hung it in the
air temporarily.
The real goal for today was just to see how well a specialized setup for remote
operation would work during an extended contest period.  If I had to rate it on
a scale of 100 I would have to give it a 98.  About the only thing that had to
be done manually was pipe audio from whichever radio was going to be
used.....unplug from this one and plug it into that one.
Still some antenna work to be done.  Missing part of a reflector on one of the
20m antennas.  One of the 15m antennas has to come down for some structural
repair.  And, a full size two element 40 is still sitting on saw horses waiting
to go into the air that will be fixed northwest.  And, of course, figure out
where the problem(s) lie with the 80m RX stuff.
It is still a strange feeling to be sitting and running 20m and see the radio to
the right transmitting and the computer screen magically entering callsigns with
no one in the chair.
This was fun but it got to be a grind for me after not getting much sleep the
night before plus the fact that time was spent almost every day for the past
week trying to refine the logistics of creating a remote option.  I am really
tired now and I am going to sleep.