[3830] NAQP SSB KD7HU Single Op Assisted LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 22 13:31:44 EST 2023

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KD7HU
Operator(s): KD7HU
Station: KD7HU

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: Montana

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
Total:  287    83  Total Score = 23,821

Club: Big Sky Contesters

Team: Big Sky Contesters - For a Few Hours

Comments:

Station: FTDX101MP 100w. Windom  at 25 feet with remote tuner.
I limited my participation to three bands and essentially daylight only. I also
decided to do a minimal amount of S/P for a change, except for rare
multipliers.
10m was amazing shape, and I started to run a frequency and made an incredible (
for me anyway) 161 contacts in 90 minutes. Since there is more "room"
on 10m little gun stations can find space enough to avoid getting squashed by
those with beams and towers.  10m being 10m you can be very loud with little
power under the right conditions and the conditions were right. The large number
of "casual contacts" by non-contesters on this band was also very
helpful.  I enabled my  logging software to tell me when I was spotted and
noticed, not surprisingly, this always resulted in a mini-pileup for more than
three stations calling at once.  After all Montana is Montana.  Running on 15 m
was not quite as good, and on 20m not good at all.  There was less room to dodge
all the stations with better antennas.
Highlights:  Having the mythical place (next to Atlantis), Rhode Island, call me

             for a change in a pile up trying to work me.
             Having a contact with N3FJP whose software I have used for years
Mishaps:     Having my remote tuner suddenly decide to "detune" itself
in the
             in the middle of a contact with a needed multiplier on 20m.  It
              took me about 10 min to reset this correctly.  I suspect some RF
              problems here.

         Thanks to all the great efficient contest ops I ran into during this
contest. I am beginning to recognize "the regulars" more and more.

                73. Chuck