[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N9TF Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 23 00:06:51 EST 2023

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2023

Call: N9TF
Operator(s): N9TF
Station: N9TF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Clarksville TN

    6:  26     18
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  26     18  Total Score = 468

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Well, it's January of course! With only a way less than modest 6m station, and
not much propagation to move that 50mhz RF from point A to B-C-D..., lots of
dead time in front of the rig. I found the XYL and I could play Rummy, and other
card games together in the shack for this one, and I would be able to monitor
the waterfall in case the band popped open, or reset the TX to call CQ. On those
occasions for a, um... rest break or snak break, I would QSY to CW and then SSB
to make some CQ calls. 99% of the time those came up dry, so back to FT8 and
another card game, with the monitors in sight.
All kidding aside, mostly... 6m was a tough go. There were times it looked like
it would pop, but it was more like a poof and gone again. Lots of cqing and
staring at ghost signals streaming not decoding. I did check SSB and CW now and
then, and called CQ until my thumb and finger formed calluses from slapping the
Bencher paddles, or my throat became dry from raising my voice amplitude because
no one was apparently hearing me. I did make two SSB Qs however. One was a local
fellow TCG member Walt AJ6T, Thanks Walt, for the Q. The other was Robert, K9OIM
up in Almo KY. Thank you Robert for the other SSB Q.
Lets keep fingers crossed that sunspot numbers keep rising as well as SFI over
the next couple of years. Wouldn't it be nice to have 6m play like 10m?! I can
dream can't I!

73 and thanks for the Qs, Gene N9TF
100 watts to 3 elements up 18' fed with 160' DXE 400MAX, buried. Armstrong
tuning method.