[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VE3MIS Limited Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jan 26 18:43:13 EST 2023

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2023

Call: VE3MIS
Operator(s): VA3CW VA3ELE VA3HES VE3ACK VE3MDX VE3MYO VE3NE VE3SVF
Station: VE3MIS

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN03EQ

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  390   135  Total Score = 63,585

Club: Ontario VHF Association

Comments:

Thank you all for the great contest, see you in the next one.

OK OK, I'm not done quite yet, I need to complain a little about the conditions
hihi(isn't that what the soapbox is for?). Ok so they weren't terrible, but they
weren't amazing either. The 6m Es opening was better than most years we've
experienced up on this side of the lake and we fell just a bit short to bust
into the TEP opening near the end of the contest that others just south of us
enjoyed. On 2m things went very smoothly and the amplifier only tripped a few
times(gotta remember to not rotate during TX). The 222 system was working very
well and we were able to easily work everyone we heard. On 70cm we had a little
issue at the beginning after forgetting that a 6dB attenuator was removed, we
were driving a little harder than expected and blew all the fuses other than the
driver pallet in the LARCAN PA. I had to quit operating and take a run to the
store to find replacement glass fuses.(and I know the spares are still laying on
my desk at home hi) After I got back with the new fuses, quick replacement
brought the amp back to life, but we could not get the drive power quite right,
the TS2000 only goes down to 5watts and that was too much power, we were pegging
the 1kw slug and bending the needle hihi. Finally time rolled around and Mark
VA3HES arrived with the missing 6dB attenuator and things finally went back to
normal(that poor needle on the bird meter). I did forget to mention that I only
had to climb the 6m tower twice to free the rotator from the end stops.

Now that that's done with, the highlights: working KT1R in FM09 on just his HALO
and 75watts at 466km was really super cool on 70cm. Also catching KO4YC on CW on
144 and 222 in the last couple minutes of the contest for an extra 2 multipliers
was a nice addition. There were a good bunch of contacts that were in the 600+
range that we were able to work even on analog modes that are often difficult on
digital and some that should be easy we struggled with. Anyways, it was really
awesome to have the rest of the guys come together and have some fun working the
VHF bands as a team and I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Special thanks to the guys that made it out to operate: Andy VA3CW, Peter
VA3ELE, Mark VA3HES, Phil VE3ACK, David VE3MDX, Zachary VE3MYO, Lali VE3NE,
Sasha VE3SVF and of course our own Joseph VE3GKT/R that we were able to work in
all 6 of his grids on all 4 bands.

Also a big thank you to our only other Canadian rover that handed out a bunch of
QSOs while braving the conditions yet again in this January contest as well as
Mr.Whistle CW and all the other rovers.

73 de Peter VA3ELE