[3830] BARTG Sprint K7HKR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jan 28 19:48:53 EST 2023

                    BARTG RTTY Sprint - 2023

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: AZ

Total:  22  Mults = 13  Continents = 2  Total Score = 572

10m/15m (3el/2el) duo-bander at around 28 feet, from AZ

It's been way more challenging than I expected to get configured for HF at my
new QTH.  I don't have a huge yard and thus any antenna is challenged by the
25-foot roof peak.  It's a lot harder to get antennas up to 30ft on temporary
masts than 20ft!

This was a test of one particular mast system, and of a new 10m/15m
two-band/two-feed antenna.  As far as the antenna, the SWR on both 10m and 15m
was 1.6 (elements were a bit short), pretty good for not having made any
adjustments yet.  My first hour of operation was essentially the 19UT hour.  I
started out on 10m where there was a bit of activity, then some on 15m, totaling
9 QSOs in the first hour.  I took a break to take care of some other stuff, then
back for the 21UT hour, making another 13 QSOs, mostly 15m.  Only worked NA and
SA, but that wasn't surprising given that I quit before JA would likely open
up.

As far as the mast, considering it was only supported from the ground with the
bottom tube being embedded in a block of concrete, it did okay.  But, once the
wind started gusting to around 20 mph, even at 23ft high the mast was bending a
bit too much to be safe so I pulled the plug.  More work to be done...