[3830] CQ160 CW WB0TEV Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 14:55:06 EST 2023

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 10:11

Total:  QSOs = 318  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 16  Total Score = 63,437

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This contest sorta snuck up on me.  When I saw a bunch of 160m spots roll into
Ham Alert on my cell phone for MJ5E (I needed Jersey on 160), I got on the radio
and saw that a contest was underway.

I mistakenly thought it was ARRL160 (I should know better) but got a clue after
about 5 QSOs when KB1EFS/2 sent me an exchange of simply NY vice ENY/WNY/NNY.  I
switched to the proper contest and reentered the first 5 QSOS (the first of
which was MJ5E for a new country on 160!) and went to work, all Search and
Pounce since my CW skills are not yet competition grade, although they are
getting better!

The contest also gave me chance to put at least half of my latest beverage to
work.  Wanting to fill the E/W gap from my 600 foot NE/SW and 720 foot NW/SE
beverage, a couple of weeks ago I put up a 460 foot E/W beverage, although at
this point I've only brought in the East feedline to the shack.  All 3 are
BevFlex4 models which use RG6 CATV coax as the Beverage element as well as for
the feedlines to the shack.

It was fun searching and pouncing and selecting the best of 5 available
directions to bring signals up from the noise.

Rig is a TS590SG driving a KPA1500 amp at 600 watts (any more and I tend to have
RF in the shack problems) to a 63 foot tall shunt fed tower topped with a big
Mosley PRO-67B.  RX antennas were the aforementioned Beverages.

I didn't stay up through Central EU sunrise either night but was up late enough
to catch the sunrise peak for S5. Saturday AM I managed to work a couple of the
JA super stations at my sunrise.

Were it not for missing ND and AK (saw KL7SB spotted but couldn't hear them) I
would have worked all states.  DX worked were 5B, CM, E7, G, GJ(!), GW, HI, JA,
KH6, KP2, KP4, P4, PJ2, S5, V3, VE and XE.

Kudos to GU4YOX for his FB signal from Jersey as MJ5E!

See you in the 3Y0J pileups!

Victor WB0TEV