[3830] CQ160 CW N1LN Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 18:12:50 EST 2023

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1245  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 60  Total Score = 558,586

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well that was fun. It did not start out that way as a new interference appeared
right at the start that made copy of all but the strongest stations almost
impossible. My typical 160 to 170 Q/hr rates for the first two hours ended up
being a very disappointing 120 average. Fortunately as the sun went down, so did
the new interference. Still no clue what the cause was, but it was back today
for the final 2 hours. Why did I get on for the final 2 hours? Based on the
level of chatter on the PVRC email reflector about “where was DC”, I was
optimistic that a DC station just might fire up for that additional mult. Not to
be. Other than missing the DC mult I also did not work NT, NU or YT, but did not
expect to. Perhaps the wrong expectation, but it proved accurate.

With all the talk lately about using Contest Online Scoreboard I checked the
N1MM+ box to do so.  Well, I forgot on Friday, but did check it on Saturday
morning. Had a real horse race between K2KW, AA3B, K1AR and myself most of
Saturday night for SOHP-A second place in NA. First place was totally out of the
question with the excellent score delivered by VA2WA. My QSO count is typically
OK, but the number of 10 point Qs just does not come close to being enough. My
point/Q ended at 3.8 while VA2WA ratio was 6.1. Again, well done!  My final 10
point Q count was 244 with a 5 point total of 84. Both beating my 2021 totals.

>From the country mult perspective, I was thrilled to work VK6DW on Saturday
morning and then JA3YBK on Sunday morning. Never heard any ZL or other PAC
except for KH6. Also never heard KL7. Perhaps my most unique mult was when I got
up to hit the head about 0948 UTC Saturday. I left the rig and N1MM running and
noticed that VO1HP in NF was spotted. I turned up the power on the K3 to 100w
(amp was off) and worked him first call. Then off to the head and back to sleep
for another hour or so.

One last comment and it is indeed my standard complaint. I am totally amazed how
many stations have key clicks. Some of the CLICKERS are high scoring big
stations. Are the clicks intentional to keep others from getting too close?  I
don’t know. From past experience, when I see certain call signs appear in the
band map close to me I know why the clicks are also in my headphones. The Ops or
Rig Manufactures should clean up their acts and resulting signals.

In conclusion – this was another fun CQWW 160 CW, but not as much fun as when
we used to have the M/S gang together.  Maybe that will happen again, but not
sure.  Thanks to all that replied to my CQ or pulled me out of the pileups when
I was chasing the new mult.

73,
Bruce N1LN