[3830] CQ160 CW PJ2T(K8ND) Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 19:19:29 EST 2023

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K8ND
Station: PJ2T

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Curacao

Total:  QSOs = 1106  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 64  Total Score = 1,339,194

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

This is only the fourth time I’ve operated this contest as PJ2T single-op
(previously 2006, 2012, 2013), as my usual contest partner W8WTS was unable to
come down due to family issues. We have done 12 previous years Multi-Op. He was
missed!

First night European conditions were reminiscent of the fantastic 2009
conditions. Second night was more typical, with European DX popping up for a
time and then fading away. Second night rates were very disappointing. Neither
night normally required ‘letter mining’ to pull calls out of the noise, a
pleasant change!

The station was not at peak state for this contest. The usual DX Engineering
4-square receiving array was not deployed, due to lack of manpower to install it
(it’s done ‘Field Day style’) and unusual growth to waist-high of the wild
thorny vegetation covering the area normally used.

So the RX antenna complement was our two Beverages (1000-foot EU, 880-foot
US/JA). Neither behaved as expected, although a check of the EU Beverage
Saturday (thanks Geoff W0CG/PJ2DX!) failed to find an expected break. European
stations were often louder on the USA Beverage, which should never be the case!

Worked three (3) ZL stations, even though there was no receive antenna pointed
their direction. No VK or JA stations worked.

Highlights were 1) getting called by 9K2NO to drive the score over 1 Million
points, and 2) working W8WTS for QSO # 1000!

Radio: Elecraft K3
Amp: AL-1200
TX Antenna: Inv-L
RX Antennas: 1000-foot EU Beverage, 880-foot US/JA Beverage
Two CW Skimmers (SDR-IQ receivers) on Beverages