[3830] CQ160 CW N4SS(@W5MX) Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 29 20:33:01 EST 2023

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: N4SS
Operator(s): W5MX N4AAJ W4ZXT
Station: W5MX

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: KY

Total:  QSOs = 1126  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 49  Total Score = 376,319

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

A multi single effort with Jerod W4ZXT and Scott N4AAJ. A couple of ops who do
cw which is definitely needed for here for multiops. I personally did not
operate much of the contest, Jerod did the bulk of it, with Scott right behind.
Most of my operating was the first evening and a bit the second. Jerod ran the
"graveyard" from 1:30 or so until around 6:30 local time both nights.
This was a good opportunity for those guys to warm up for our ARRL DX CW effort
next month.

Well, certainly feeling the effects of the increased sun spots this year. Our EU
QSO count well less than 1/2 of the last several years. Only around 120 in the
log. Could hear them quite well both nights, but harder to get through than
normal. Hard QSB plagued most of the dx stations, EU in particular. I woke up
too late Sat AM (7:45am local) and just caught the tail end of Western direction
opening. I could hear JA3YBK and JH4UYB coming through, called several times but
no luck. Same with VK3IO. If I had been on 1/2 or so earlier we likely would
have been able to complete.

In any case, we had a great time. It's good to watch some younger cw talent
developing, an investment for N4SS and contesting future. Jerod and Scott moving
right along with their cw skills for sure. Every contest is just that much more
experience for them. Being a great CW contest op and cruising through high QSO
rates is no easy task to say the least, and it takes YEARS of experience. I
think many of us can attest to that!

Best 73's all, c u in the next one!
Bryan W5MX/N4SS