[3830] CQ160 CW K4HQK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 30 17:16:16 EST 2023

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 5:45

Total:  QSOs = 150  State/Prov = 33  Countries = 4  Total Score = 13,690

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The weekend was loaded with family obligations, so my contest participation had
to be broken into several short sessions for a total of just under six hours.
Friday night was the busier of the two nights but I wasn’t able to join until
2200 EST, then stayed until 0030 EST to take advantage of the activity swarm.

Friday night also seemed to have better long-haul propagation than Saturday.
With my humble antenna I heard a number of EU stations and, incredibly, even
managed to work one (SP8R). I also worked WP3X, P40AA and KP2M that evening.

Saturday at 0730 I spent a few minutes to grab four before getting dressed and
leaving the house for a birthday brunch in D.C.

Late Saturday afternoon (1700) as the band was waking up I spent a half hour
before leaving for an evening vent. This mini-effort netted nine more East
Coasters.

That evening I was back on at 2100 EST but tuned across so many dupes that I
baled at 2220. Total QSO take: 30, all in eastern states. (The center of the
U.S. is roughly the limit of my reachable boundary.)

Sunday morning I was up at 0630 and discovered a number of loud signals. Working
13 got me a new section, South Carolina, for some happy relief. That’s my home
state.

The finale Sunday afternoon began for me at 1545. I hung in as a small crowd,
mostly of dupes, slowly grew. I managed to work only six new ones, which brought
me to 150 QSOs. After that I pulled the plug.

And that’s what it’s like on the 160 meter band with 100 watts and one-half
of an 80 meter dipole.

All those Canadians were in the East: 10 Ontario, 3 Quebec, and one each in
Labrador (LB), Prince Edward Island (PE), and New Brunswick (NB).

73 and thanks for reading my report!

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA