[3830] CQ160 CW KH6LC(N6KB) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 30 19:34:24 EST 2023

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: KH6LC
Operator(s): N6KB
Station: KH6LC

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Hawaii

Total:  QSOs = 182  State/Prov = 40  Countries = 8  Total Score = 86,208

The new flat top loaded folded monopole wire vertical had been tried in the Stew
Perry contest and it seemed to work well. In the SP there was a lot of lightning
QRN. The band sounded like a cement mixer full of boulders and junk car parts.
So the low score in the SP was chalked up to bad conditions. In the CQ test
lightning was observed within miles of the KH6LC site, yet the band was
relatively quiet. With the band sounding pretty good hopefully the new antenna
was going to shine and many QSOs would be made. It didn't work out that way.
There were only two or three times in the whole operation when multiple callers
had to be sorted out. When the QSO rate dropped to less than 1 QSO in a full
hour I threw in the towel. Thanks to all the operators who struggled to hear my
weak signal. Apologies to the stations I just could not pull out of the noise.