[3830] CQ160 CW K3KU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 30 20:13:42 EST 2023

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2023

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD

Total:  QSOs = 276  State/Prov = 39  Countries = 1  Total Score = 24,240

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Played this one completely for fun -- see how fast I can run ("fresh
meat"); see if I can make any long-distance QSOs.  Operated Saturday night
00Z to 01Z and 0230Z to 05Z; Sunday morning 1120Z to 1145Z; Sunday evening for
six minutes at 21Z.  This contest places a premium on DX QSOs, and with 100w and
a dipole, and no RX antenna, I treat it a fun-practice for domestic contests.
(I had even forgotten that Canadians count extra.)

Running was pretty good -- opening run Saturday evening was 40 QSOs at 172/hr;
last run Sunday morning was 21 QSOs at 192/hr. 126 QSOs from runs of >10,
plus several other shorter runs.  I also tried some high-rate turn-the-big-knob
S&P.  That was fun, too.

Long distance QSOs was not so good -- I managed Utah Saturday night, and NA7TB
struggled to dig me out Sunday morning.  Only non-Canada DX was Puerto Rico.
The PJ2 and the P44 could not hear me.  I did hear two Europeans.  One was a
suspiciously loud Russian (who could not hear me).  The other was one of the
fascinating events of this 'Test.

I was in a little pileup for some Midwestern US station (I forget who).  He
answered "P3??".  Sure enough, he was being called by the P33, whom I
could hear, weak.  It was just fun to listen as the US guy dug out the P33.

My own biggest excitement (other than the runs) was finding the VO1, not loud,
and getting him on one call.  Next to that was willing two
"why-haven't-I-worked-these-yet-?" states to answer my Sunday morning
CQ" RI and AL.

Speaking of pileups, I found Radiosport Manitoba buddy VE4GV Saturday evening.
I had half a chance for a minute or two, until the pileup ramped up.  Similarly,
Sunday morning I found a random NC CQer.  Within a minute ot two his pileup was
humongous, with SO2R and Assisted and Multi-op and panadapter-equipped stations
jumping in.

But I can't complain about that too much.  It's those same stations that fuel my
own runs.