[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K4NO/R Unlimited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 30 21:06:55 EST 2023

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2023

Call: K4NO/R
Operator(s): W4HFZ KK4DTQ K4NO
Station: K4NO/R

Class: Unlimited Rover LP
QTH: Alabama

  432:   11     7
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  136    60  Total Score = 9,840

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Operated from 7 grids,  EM62, EM51, EM52, EM63, EM73, EM74 and EM64

My brother Chas W4HFZ and I took our nephew on his first rove.  Sam KK4DTQ had
not been on the air at all so he made his first contacts on the trip.
Sam had a good time on the air and got his IC-7300 going last week from his new
house.  He will be more active in the future.

We used a IC-7300 on 6 meters, IC-9700 on 2/432 and the K3S and a Q5  5 band
transverter for 222 and as a backup for all the other bands.

Equipment stacked in wooden shelf in the center of the back seat.
Powered it all with 4 LifePro 12v 100 AH batteries in the back of the truck.
Charged them with a Honda EU2000I generator.

We had 3 computers networked using N1MM running off the power outlet in the
truck.

6 meter loop at 12 feet on one side of the back right side of the truck
2/222/432 loop on a 12-foot wooden pole on the back left side of the truck

When we set up, we had a 6 meter Moxon at 25 feet on a fiberglass push up pole,
2 meters was 6L, 222 was 10L and 432 was 15L on a separate fiberglass push up
pole.

Had some local noise problems and we didn't hear as well as we should.

Have a few other tweaks to work out but overall, we had fun We set up antennas
in 5 of the 7 girds and used the loops while mobile in the others.
All 5 set ups or take downs were in the rain,  Wx and band conditions didn’t
cooperate like we wanted.

It was a good test of the equipment and we will be better prepared for the next
one

Greg K4NO