[3830] ARRLDX SSB HK4/KC1XX SOUAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 5 20:45:51 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: HK4/KC1XX
Operator(s): KC1XX
Station: HK4/KC1XX

Class: SOUAB LP
QTH: Medellin

  160:    0     0
   10: 1072    57
-------------------
Total: 2498   215  Total Score = 1,610,565

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first effort from HK4 Medellin Colombia. I would like to thank my
beautiful señorita Leonor very much for letting me use her house to build a
tower on the roof and erect the antenna.

The QTH is in the northern hill side of the city at almost 6000 feet and
unfortunately with over 4 million people in the city, it does create a lot of
man made noise.
My biggest problem here is the powerline noise that sometimes spikes up to over
S9. So I apologize if I could not hear you.
80 is the biggest struggle with the noise and 160 is absolutely impossible.
Medellin is also surrounded by a lot of high mountains but for HF it should not
matter and towards the US and Canada, it’s a nice drop off in terrain.

This operation would also not have been possible without with Camilo HK3TU and
Pedro HK1X, helping me to get the licensing process done faster. Thanks guys!
I would like to mention here that I only met Pedro HK1X because of Fred K3Z0,
who put us together. Him and Pedro were friends for many years. Thanks Fred, I
missed your call all weekend!

Another very special thank you goes out to my good friend Krassy K1LZ who made
it possible to ship a multi band Yagi from Europe so I would have an antenna.
The Bulgarians got the antenna built in record time and he shipped it UPS
express. What a friend!

The Yagi performed excellent on 10-40!
On 80 I was using a G5RV and one leg of it is strung to Leonor‘s neighbors
balcony across the street.
This is only possible in warm, welcoming Latin countries like HK.

On Friday afternoon, we returned from Santiago de Chile. It was a long flight
and we were very tired so I only operated for about one hour and a half on
Friday.
Saturday morning, everybody in the US and VE was concentrating on Europe and it
was very difficult to make any contact at all. That changed in the afternoon
when I got good runs going on 10, 15 and 20.

I had actually only planned to make about 1000 Qs to check out the antenna. But
when runs kept being productive, I was inspired to keep going.
My only chance to get anything going on 40 and 80 are the early morning hours
before sunrise. I set my alarm for 4 AM and sure enough I worked 50 multipliers
between the two bands.
I was also very fortunate that overnight we got some rain and the powerline
noise was way down.

No, I was going for the 1 million score and kept going all day. The morning
hours were terrific on 10m. I took a break in the middle of the day and then
operated until the end for a total of just a little over 19 hours.
Several needed multipliers were moving for me and the score kept rising.
At the end I was extremely pleased with my first effort from beautiful Medellin
and I will see what I can do to improve the station.

The radio I used was an Icom IC-7300
Thank you very much for all the calls, all your patience with my line noise and
the.multipliers

VY73, Matt HK4/KC1XX