[3830] ARRLDX SSB NP4Z M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 6 10:29:53 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NP4Z
Operator(s): NP4Z DJ4MX KC1KUG W4IPC K6BFL
Station: NP4Z

Class: M/S HP
QTH: San Juan
Operating Time (hrs): ~45
Remote Operation

   40: 1073    59
   20: 4599    58
   15: 1613    60
   10: 2654    58
-------------------
Total: 7336   321  Total Score = 7,054,938

Club: YCCC, PVRC

Comments:

First and foremost, I would like to extend a huge thank you to Felipe for making
this happen. Had Felipe not been gracious enough to host us, we would not be
here today :)

As is typical with our remote operations, this was a last minute operation.
Connor invited me to operate mere days before the contest. After a minute of
talking it through, we decided we wanted to do a serious effort. This meant we
needed more ops than just us two. I immediately recommended Sven, DJ4MX and
Connor confirmed. We also asked Brennan, K6BFL and he was excited for the
opportunity and replied with an enthusiastic yes.

We had taken care of the operator situation, now to work out the logistics.
Felipe was a wonderful host and was very helpful in making sure we all had a
seamless remote experience. On the Thursday before the contest, we all got on
and did a little bit of testing to make sure everything was working. Even from
Europe, Sven's connection to the radio was very robust, which helped a lot. This
was important in the end, as it turned out that Sven would be our anchor man. I
think Sven did more hours than any of us. That's a good thing, though, as he is
a killer op.

As with every contest, there are issues. This time, there were very few. The
only real issue was with the changing of operators. When someone is operating
and someone else connects, there is about 700ms of latency introduced. This can
only be solved by disconnecting and reconnecting. We have to get that figured
out before we do this again.

I think this was both Sven and Brennan's first contest from the Caribbean, and
to say they were impressed is an understatement. Both Connor and I have done
contests from the Caribbean before, but we collectively agree that it is always
just as amazing as the first time.

On behalf of the NP4Z team,

Bray KC1KUG/KP4