[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3ZJ SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 6 17:35:46 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K3ZJ
Operator(s): K3ZJ
Station: K3ZJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV

Total:  837   285  Total Score = 713,925

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It has been 35 years since the first contest QSO from my WV mountain get-away.
Although the beam and wires are on the ground for maintenance, I decided to
drive out on Saturday afternoon and get a few hours of my "contest
fix" (rather than do some of the work needed on the antennas and
towers...).  I found a 160-6 (minus 15)OCF dipole and RG8X coax that I used on a
trip Denmark a few years ago and hung the antenna as an inverted V off the tower
at 68 feet (21 meters), with the ends to trees at about 10 feet (3 meters) off
the ground. The sun was going down Saturday afternoon by the time I finished and
had to decide whether to spend a couple hours cutting and hanging a dipole for
15 or to spend the time operating. I decided to operate and implement my
alternative 15M plan to go barefoot using the transceiver's antenna tuner.  I
was pleased with the number of contacts and mults on 15 this way. Not sure how
much power was actually being radiated, especially with a calculated cable loss
of 2.3 db under perfect load conditions (which these were not). But I could call
and be heard even if I couldn't run or break some of the pile-ups.  The weekend
provided a pleasant reminder that a simple wire antenna can be fun! All QSOs
were on the second day of the contest, usually a slower day than the first.
Great to exchange reports with so many friends and acquaintances on the air.