[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1DAD SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 6 17:56:40 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: W1DAD
Operator(s): W1DAD
Station: W1DAD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NH

  160:    0     0
Total:  507   202  Total Score = 307,242

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Hello everyone,
I had fun and I hope that you also had a great experience!

My last participation in The ARRL International DX Contest was five years ago in
2018! I was very happy to contest for 15 hours using my IC-781 and my Carolina
Windom 80 Compact antenna up at about 50 feet (15m).  The IC-781 generates 150
watts RF power which puts me in the HP category. I'm not so sure the extra 50
watts (and minor resulting dB increase) is worth the recategorization into HP
but it helped me to feel louder with a wire.

My 507 contacts were 99.8% S&P since I only got one reply during the three
sessions I tried calling CQ but the improving solar cycle conditions brought
back happy memories of my 45+ years of hamming during past solar upswings.

This years goals:
I recently joined SKCC (Straight Key Century Club) and plan to operate more CW
)both straight key and paddles.  Some of this activity will also be QRP with a
QCX+ rig that I am building.  This will help me to get my code speed up and
enjoy more CW contesting.  For me, passing 20 wpm years ago for my Extra class
was an accomplishment and now I would like to get the rust out and surpass
that.

I need to convince Jeanne K1MOM to get back on the air and do a muti-op with
me.

Thanks to everyone that has "DAD" in their log!  73 & Ciao from
Windham NH!

Peter W1DAD

P.S. - One of my other hobbies is specializing in and growing heirloom tomatoes!
I've grown over 400 varieties and I think it's time to bring "Solar
Flare" & "Cosmic Eclipse" back into the garden rotation this
year. I have the correct propagation mix to start the seeds next month.  :-)