[3830] ARRLDX SSB WO1N SOUAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 6 19:19:05 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SOUAB LP
QTH: FN42io

  160:   11     9
Total: 1003   323  Total Score = 976,062

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station : FTdx5000, C3-SS at 38', 40MDi at 50', 80M-K2KQ, 160M-InvL at 65',N1MM+

Fun factor high leading to more BIC time. Friday night/Sat morn better
than Sat night/Sunday morning. Only goal I had was to shoot for 25 hours
chair time.

All 160 contacts were Friday night. Europe was literally arm chair copy.
Saturday night however, I could not hear Europe at all and PJ2T, PJ4G, NP4Z
were exercises in frustration. I must have called the crew at NP4Z 50 times
Saturday night only occasionally getting a QRZ out of them.

Still on 160, I tried CQing, (used self spotting all weekend, see comment
about Fun factor). I was spotted by a DL that I couldn't hear and
Sunday EI6JK said he was calling me when we made a contact on the high
bands.

I think 80 improved quite dramatically just around the Sunday morning Eu
sunrise but the damage had been done, everyone already moved to the high bands.

Went longer than I should have Friday evening as rates slowed down. Pulled the
plug at 0800Z with only 120 contacts in the log, intending to get up 3 hours
later. Well, almost exactly 3 hours later I was woken by the sound of
either a power line transformer or fuse blowing. Turns out a car hit a
utility pole affecting the feed to our neighborhood.

OK, guess I get to sleep some more. A half hour later, the
power came back for about 10 minutes, enough time for me to get up, get
dressed and walk to the kitchen to make some coffee only to get confused
as to why everything was dark when I got there (all of 20 steps away
from the bedroom). Power out again.

Went back to bed. Power came back about 10 minutes later.
Got up and got started. About an hour later, power was out again. This time
for about an hour. Had breakfast. When the power came back I operated for
about an hour and a half but then went out and clear the overnight snow.
Basically prime time Saturday was shot.

Many attempts at running and the self spotting really helped. Many of the
runs would dry up pretty quickly, though. Best hour was a 110 during the
1800Z hour on Sunday, 15M. I had 7 5Q minutes and 20 4Q minutes. What a gas.

Along the way, 1000Qs became the new goal and only achievable with the help
of the PY's and LU's on the high bands. Thank you!

SH5 reports 9 six, 17 five and 36 four band contacts. Worked 45 I's as
compared to 35 DL's. Highlight for me was working E2A in a pretty good 20M
pileup Sunday morning.

K1RX caught me CQing above 7200 KHz Saturday evening and said "Hey Ken
what
are you doing working Carib/South America?" Truth be told VP5M had
just called in so I'm like, "Yeah, that's what I doing". Didn't
realize or
forgot that Eu can't call up there. Tried the 40M split thing Sunday afternoon
and was able to make about 24 contacts before losing control of my
receive frequency. By the way, what was that massive interference on 40M
Sunday afternoon/evening making 7120-7150 KHz unusable?

In the end, only ~24 hours operating time, but I had Qs in 36/48 hours.
I feel the self spotting contributed to the overall fun of the event.

73,

Ken - WO1N