[3830] ARRLDX SSB N8II SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Mar 8 11:47:00 EST 2023

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 21:33

Total: 1405   272  Total Score = 1,146,480

10M was not open to EU Friday, so I decided to so a half hearted all band
effort. As it turned out conditions on 10 were decent except for a very slow
opening on Sunday, only south EU mainly until 14Z. There was plenty of activity
on 10 but not up to the activity level on CW when I made nearly the same number
of Q's just on 10. I had one clock minute with 6 QSO's, best 10 minutes rate of
276/hr, best hour 176 at 1428Z on 10M. Even 15 suffered from high MUF from about
1400-1630Z, but was very good after that and 20 was open well to EU until 22Z
Saturday, not as good Sunday. Highlights were working DU, KH2, and AH2R on 10
and a very loud JT1CO on 20 and 15 around 24Z.

I had some good runs on 20/15/10 but hard to sustain a good rate when such a
high percentage of stations were chasing spots. So there would be these huge
crunches of very aggressive and often not very smart operators who called during
a QSO or called when I was calling another op. Then a few minutes later no one
was calling, not as much fun as before cluster spots for sure.

Also there were a higher percentage than ever of very badly splattering signals
many over 6 Hz wide. One ZP station on 10 was over 20 KHz wide! Something needs
to be done to stop these abusers of spectrum who gain an unfair advantage by
wiping out others even beyond their receiving bandwidth. I can get very close to
a CLEAN LOUD signal with my FTDX101D without any QRM, but these splatterers
render my great transceiver as worthless to improve receiving. Terrible audio
also abounded; why can't serious ops check their audio before a contest! The
same goes for the splattering.

I had a few interruptions plus house chores which limited my time, but 21+ hours
of what was happening was enough, a shame with such generally nice conditions
with moderate geomagnetic disturbances and times. Congrats to Ed, N1UR for
another outstanding effort.

Thanks for the calls and QSO's and to those who spotted me resulting in a lot of
Q's.

73, Jeff