[3830] Commonwealth VE3NNT SO(A)-Open-24 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 12 14:04:25 EDT 2023

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2023

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SO(A)-Open-24 HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5
Remote Operation

-----------------------
Total:  605     4180  Total Score = 7,205

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

My score was higher than the previous few years due in part to the solar cycle
and in part to more time on the air. However, it would have been much better if
I could use 15m effectively. I have an S8 noise level that I need to track down
when we open the cottage in the spring. I probably missed more than 100 contacts
on 15m.

There was descent activity, but it does become excessively difficult to squeeze
contacts out of the ether after the first few hours. I just put my Flex6600 on 2
bands with dueling CQs and sat back in my chair waiting to hear something other
than noise in either ear.

This contest really highlights the need for fixed antennas that can be switched
in instantly. I spent much too much time spinning my antenna around between
Europe and Australia. That would call for a second tower though, something I'm
sure the XYL wouldn't appreciate. She already thinks I'm crazy with what I've
done so far.