[3830] Commonwealth VE3KG SO(A)-Open-24 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 13 09:33:46 EDT 2023

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2023

Call: VE3KG
Operator(s): VE3KG
Station: VE3KG

Class: SO(A)-Open-24 HP
QTH: NR BASTARD

   80:   66      20
   40:  143      52
   20:  216      77
   15:  162      58
   10:  194      61
-----------------------
Total:  781     268  Total Score = 9,265

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

At least that's what N1MM+ Logger thinks my score is.  The adjudicators will
tell me the truth in a few weeks' time.

What an amazing BERU!  I haven't heard conditions like those in many years.
Eighty  seemed poor, and 40m was a little poorer than usual, but the phenomenal
openings on 10 and 15 more than made up for it.  I made several QSOs with ZL and
VK on 15m after local midnight!

BERU always has a relatively small pool of stations to work, spread across the
whole globe.  That is part of the fun.  Openings to multiple regions can be
challenging.  One very fun thing was having the 20m long path opening to ZL and
VK coincide with the regular opening to G on a broadly similar bearing.

If there was an award for the longest call sign in BERU, it would be a tie:
5B/G3TXF and 5B/G3VYI.  Thank you to Nigel and Mike for making Cyprus very
available.

This was my first serious BERU from my new location, and the first time I've
gone "Assisted."  It's also the first BERU from VE3, so that normal
deep well of VE3 QSOs was missing from my log. The much better propagation to G,
ZL and VK more than made up for it.  One plus about being a VE3 is that I get
fewer non-BERU callers than I did from VE9, VO2, VO1, ZL7 or 9M6 in previous
BERUs.

I am very grateful to those ops who were willing to change bands.  I got more
bonuses, and all they got was just another VE3 in the log.  Brian 9J2BO stands
out as always being willing to move on request.  Thank you, Brian.

The conflict with the Tesla contest on 40 and 80 and the South American contest
on 10 metres was less of an issue this time.

Thank you to Bruce WA7BNM for updating the BERU form on the 3830scores page.  It
still needs a tweak, but it's great to have a column to report bonuses now.