[3830] Commonwealth G4BUO SO-Open-12 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 13 14:01:48 EDT 2023

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2023

Call: G4BUO
Operator(s): G4BUO
Station: G4BUO

Class: SO-Open-12 HP
QTH: Hertfordshire, UK

   80:   24      240
   40:   43      580
   20:   84      940
   15:   43      480
   10:   39      480
-----------------------
Total:  233     2720  Total Score = 4,425

A shoulder injury meant I wasn't able to put up the tribander on a temporary
mast, and I wasn't set up for SO2R so I thought I'd just spend a few hours here
and there, but of course the Commonwealth Contest always sucks you in! So I
emded up doing a full 12 hours in three main periods.

My doublet has a switch to strap the feeders for 80m (and 160m but not in this
contest) and on my first foray onto 40m I got a report of wideband noise, went
outside to see evidence of arcing around the switch so I quickly had to put up a
40m dipole on another mast. Later, the DC line to the switch failed so I had to
replace that in the dark and rain.

Like others, I found 80m to be especially poor, and it seems I did well to work
two ZLs in the morning long path opening. Not many VKs to be worked on 40m long
path, I had already worked most of them the previous evening though the Tesla
contest made things really difficult. Good to see so much activity on 10m and I
think I missed some of the openings, not expecting the band to be any good at
those times.

Pleased to work both 6Y5FS and 6Y5HN, and also to get ZD7BG on two bands.

73 Dave G4BUO