[3830] WiQP KX9RT SO Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 14 23:14:32 EDT 2023

                    Wisconsin QSO Party - 2023

Call: KX9RT
Operator(s): KX9RT
Station: KX9RT

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: WI

  160:
   80:     82
   40:     73
   20:    367       11
   15:      4
    2:               8
  UHF:
------------------------
Total:    526       19  Mults = 67  Total Score = 114,236

Club: Waupaca County ARES

Comments:

What a great first time experience going HF mobile!  Todd, N9NE, approached me
many weeks ahead of the QSO party asking me to operate while he would drive.  I
would have been crazy to refuse such an offer with the opportunity to learn from
a seasoned CW and mobile operator.  Going into this I had no mobile HF
experience much less CW mobile.  Bouncing around the back of a van with a
keyboard and CW key...what could possibly go wrong!?

I'll admit that I was nervous not knowing how big the pilesups would be on the
receiving end and if I had the experience to be able keep it together.  I spent
weeks leading up to contest practicing pileups in Morse Runner get over that
concern.

With the preparation leading up to the contest, Mother Nature had different
plans.  Waking up to 6+ inches of snow what later turned into 9-13 inches in
central WI, I was preparing that Todd and I would come to the conclusion of
bagging the mobile ops due to bad weather.  Luckily the weather let up and we
decided to give it a try.  Starting out I was still doubtful we'd make it
through the 12 county planned route, but we kept pushing and made it all of the
way to 8pm without issue. I couldn't have asked for a better first time
experience and the added spice of a snow storm to make things a little sketchy.

On the radio side of things it was a great to experience with all of the repeat
chasers.  Thank you to everyone that contacted me.  The highest occurrence was
N9DJ with 11 contacts followed by N5AU and OM2VL for 10 contacts, and then
LA8OM, SP5SA, and LY5W.

I wish I could have done better in many areas, but that is motivation for coming
back next year with goals.  For some reason I wasn't able to produce a pileup on
40M CW with many strong stations on phone and first time calls and RBN reporting
respectable signals.  From a numbers standpoint lack of 40M contacts was
probably the largest gap.  This was my all time high scoring record (and only
one) mobile WIQP entry!

Thank you N9NE for your generosity and encouragement!  Thank you WARAC and
sponsors for hosting the WIQP.