[3830] WPX SSB NU5A(K5GN) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 26 02:55:17 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NU5A
Operator(s): K5GN
Station: NU5A

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 15.5
OpMode: SO2R

Club: Texas DX Society

Comments:

The Plan was to operate a little and focus on 40m tower cable replacements and
diagnosing a TIC Ring problem.  Ended up operating a bit more than I should
have.  And noticed a failed truss on the middle M2 7el 10m yagi, of course on
the side with the dummy element for weight balance, which looked like it would
be destroyed in the next thunderstorm.

So...after a lot of DXing and running (read too much) Friday night and Saturday
morning, Dennis and I postponed the Plan and instead got the antenna off the
tower, tilted, and replaced the truss and its mounting hardware.  We also
installed a better side mount frame.  Ended up climbing down well after sunset,
six hours on the tower, but it's done and no worries.  We will fix the other
things another weekend.  It was a very calm day, perfect for wrestling with the
long boom 10.

Other commitments on Sunday meant stopping after a little time on Saturday
evening.  Originally set up the log as a multi-single, operated as a multi-two,
but Dennis decided not to join in, so entering as a single-op, assisted.

Conditions were interesting, but disappointing.  AT3K called in over the pole on
10m (wow!) at the same time as only very southern Europe (9H, IT9, and EA) and
the Indian ocean were coming through.  All of the main parts of Europe in
between just could not be heard.  Very few JA's in the log as well.

Next up is WPX CW.  I'm hoping for less disturbed condx in May!

Dave K5GN