[3830] WPX SSB NG1M SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 26 20:15:14 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NG1M
Operator(s): NG1M
Station: NG1M

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: RI

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Fourth time I have done this contest from my basement. Second time with High
Power.  My goal was beat last year’s score of 1325 Qs & 1,965,162 points.

I came close – 1229 Qs & 1,950,529 points.

Conditions weren’t great on Friday night, and I could NOT get a run going till
mid-Saturday morning.  Then things picked up & I got some great runs off my
tribander.

I would have surpassed last year’s totals by far if not for a TACTICAL MISTAKE
ON MY PART.  This is a WPX contest, NOT A DX CONTEST!  If the beam wasn’t
pointed towards Europe, it was pointed toward South America.  I never thought to
swing the beam toward the middle of the country and pick up all those easy
single point multipliers that exist domestically until the last two hours of my
CLASSIC 24.  THEN I was getting rates of over 100 Qs an hour, but it was too
late to catch up.  SILLY OLD MAN!

Thanks for all the contacts and polite & VERY PATIENT operators. It always
amazes me that SSB contests are in English, and English is not everyone’s
native language. The Ham Radio World is quite impressive!

Radio: FLEX 6400 & Power Genius XL Amp
Antennas: WTRC 2014 TB & wires (lacks 160M)
Logging: N1MM+