[3830] WPX SSB NE8P SOAB Classic LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 26 20:18:42 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: NE8P
Operator(s): NE8P
Station: NE8P

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: FL

Total:  896  Prefixes = 507  Total Score = 1,010,958

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I thought I'd do something a bit different for this one and run by the Classic
overlay rules:  low power, unassisted and less than 24 hours operating.  Less
than 24 hours operating is no problem, but doing an SSB contest (which I'm not
very experienced at) unassisted with low power using a dipole and a vertical
antenna turned out to be quite a chore!

15 and 10 were very good.  15 was quite a madhouse, actually.  Most of the time
I did S&P, which is brutal with low power and HOA compliant antennas.  Had a
couple of modest runs on 15 Saturday consisting of mostly stateside QSOs.  I
thought I would be able to do better Sunday, but nothing doing.  I did hear some
loud Southeast Asia on 40 Sunday morning, but they couldn't hear me with my 100
watts.  (I need to pay more attention to DX on 40 in the morning!)

S&P was made all the more difficult by running stations that rarely
identified.  Additionally, many QSOs were unnecessarily long.  Exchanges,
particularly by calling stations, were often filled with unnecessary information
and repetition, sometimes excruciatingly so.

I had to learn, and have the discipline, to not call stations that were not of a
certain signal strength or were too busy with callers.  This is difficult for
me!  I also tried using the N1MM+ dupe sheet to try to speed up S&Ping.
This tool can help a lot as one tunes through the bands a few hours into the
contest, but I had a difficult time getting my eyes to quickly navigate the
sheet with the layout it has.  Practice, practice, practice is required I
think....

It was very nice to see 15 and 10 in such good shape and all the activity.
Thanks to all who participated!

Mike, NE8P

TS-590SG, 20/15/10 (hand) rotatable dipole @ 32 feet, 40 meter vertical