[3830] WPX SSB WK5T(N2IC) SOAB Unassisted Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 26 21:21:24 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: WK5T
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Unassisted Classic
QTH: New Mexico

   15: 1435

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I really like the Classic overlay category. It is the only category that still
requires the operator to be unassisted. For a serious effort, the 24 hour limit
requires the operator to think carefully about the operating strategy to
maximize the score.

With the bands only beginning to recover from the geomagnetic storm, I chose to
limit my operating on day 1 to 8 hours, and use the other 16 hours on day 2. My
first QSO wasn't until 0906Z on Saturday, and begin a decent run of 6 point JA
and YB QSO's on 40 meters until sunrise. 15 meters was slow to open, but did
have some Europe - mostly I, F, EA, and strangely, OH. The middle of Europe was
missing. After the 15 meter EU opening, I took more time off until the late
afternoon JA opening. 10 meters never opened on paths to EU or JA, and I made no
QSO's there on day 1.

Day 2 was, as expected, better. The 6 point big guns in Europe on 40 were very
strong and easy to work, but trying to run only yielded USA/VE stations. Took
more time off, and woke up around 0530Z hoping to run Europe on 40, but they
weren't there. Checked 20 around 06Z, and WOW ! From 06Z-08Z was the best 20
meter Europe opening I have experienced from New Mexico. A quiet band, not very
crowded, and S9+ Europeans calling me. Even worked a number of QRP and mobile
stations. This was definitely the highlight of the weekend ! After that fun
ended, I slept a few hours, and was back on at 11Z. Not many JA's left to work.

15 was slow to open, so I took an hour off around sunrise. A good Europe opening
on 15. 10 showed some life around 15Z, and I had images of a multi hour Europe
run. Turned out to only be an hour long run, with a few stragglers after that.
Even for USA/VE, 10 was disappointing. Was expecting 1000+ QSO's on Sunday, but
it wasn't to be. The afternoon was the only S&P that I did all weekend,
working many South American prefixes. The contest ended for me at 2305Z, with a
weak JA run on 10.

After the contest, I realized that I never put the 2nd receiver in my new
FTDX101D to work. First radio I have ever owned with a sub receiver. Probably
would have helped me find stations when the run rate was low. However, is that
really in the spirit of the Classic category ?

73,
Steve, N2IC