[3830] WPX SSB K6RO SOAB Unassisted TB-Wires HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 10:03:05 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K6RO
Operator(s): K6RO
Station: K6RO

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Unassisted TB-Wires
QTH: SDG
Operating Time (hrs): 29:44

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Planned on doing a 36 hour contest to test out my station.
I knew conditions were not good to start the contest,and figured it would be a
worked all states contest.Most of the time that is what was happening ,as
1363/1759 qso's were stateside.
I was able to hold a frequency for long periods,and felt loud,so things were
going well.
I went to bed Saturday night hoping to wake up early Sunday and hunt for
mults,as I knew I was way behind there.
I went to hit the voice keyer on my k3s,and nothing...that is a bad thing in an
SSB contest.
Radio worked fine when I went to bed Saturday night,and I never turned off my
radio.
I tried everything to get it to work again,but nothing.
I even got out the manual :)
I looked through my stock of K3 radios to find one with a DVR, and only found
one.
I hooked up that radio,and set up the DVR,and off I went.
It took me about an hour to get back on track,but that was ok.
Europe was starting to come in much better than Saturday,and had nice runs with
many new mults.
I did get a phone call saying that I was needed in an emergency on my tennis
team in Redondo Beach Sunday at 4pm,as someone needed me to take their place.
I was not happy about this,as I had to stop the contest 3:45 early on Sunday to
get to my match.
I was in the middle of my best rates of the contest when I pulled the plug.
I probably lost 200 q's and maybe 50 mults..oh well.
I had a very stressful ride on the freeway ,as it took 2:45 to get there.
I won my match,but it wasn't easy playing with very little sleep.
My location is certainly better than Palos Verdes,and I am happy about that.
I can't wait to have real antennas someday,as I know many people were calling me
that I really couldn't copy well enough to work.
With better antennas,they would have been logged.
I did have a new problem..really bad line noise..could be a power pole
transformer about 100 feet away,or solar panels next door ?
I will try and track that down soon.
Thanks for all the q's,and see you in the next one.
Thanks,
Larry K6RO

K3S
KPA1500
JK Navassa at 40 feet.
JK 401 dipole at 48 feet.
Maxcom wire dipole for 40/80 that needs fixing at 35 feet.
Heil pro7
N1MM