[3830] WPX SSB VY0ERC(VE3KTB) SOAB TB-Wires HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 12:06:19 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: VY0ERC
Operator(s): VE3KTB
Station: VY0ERC

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: NU

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was a case of "if it could go wrong, it did go wrong".  We had
high hopes of achieving our best finish from Eureka.  We had a new Spiderbeam to
build and install on a telescoping pole which improved the antenna situation
considerably, although it took too long to complete and so didn't go on the air
until Saturday morning.  The time lost in building the Spiderbeam meant that the
40m antennas were not installed.  The amps were in place to give us a bit more
punch, but the primary NCL-2000 began arcing early Saturday afternoon. The
backup HF600 was slow to get going.  It seems the safety switches were stuck
open, but that problem was solved.  Finally, after years of surviving on a diet
of mostly 20m, activity on the high bands was possible.  Aaaand then there were
the ionospheric conditions.  No getting around the impact of elevated A and K
indices.  It was a pleasant surprise that we got out as well as we did.
Finally, for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon it was possible to run, with
contacts throughout Europe.  Not so much success into southern North America
(aka everybody else on this side) or to the Pacific, but VU2ZMK was a fun
pickup.  South America was at times strong and easily worked.

Many thanks to Erik and Ramina, my non-ham fellow scientists that provided an
extra pair of hands from time to time.  Thanks also to VE1RUS for organizing the
Spiderbeam acquisition and providing moral and technical support from the south,
and to all those who have supported VY0ERC with equipment donations, financial
donations, and in general, good vibes!  The interest and support from amateurs
around the world make it possible to put this station on the air.  Thanks all
for the QSOs and see you next time!