[3830] WPX SSB DK8ZZ SOAB TB-Wires HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 12:28:14 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: DK8ZZ
Operator(s): DK8ZZ
Station: DK8ZZ

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: JO30ua

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

What a fantastic weekend!

The plans were one thing, while the reality was completely different.
I Had a simple plan: USA RUN on higher bands on both days, EU RUN when possible,
S/P to collect MTPLs, as well as DX QSOs. 2000 QSOs, 4M points.

Sure, I am not the only one who's complaining about Solar Storm (expect Northern
EUs :-) ).

Saturday:

Started on 80m, several band changes to 160m. After the first night, I worked 1
USA on 160, 10 Qs on 80 and 10 Qs on 40m. I was really sorry for all guys on 40m
here in Europe (either as M/M or single Op), it was almost like a daily shift in
160m Contest :D. Band was so closed, was amazing to see it on scope. Until the
sunrise I've logged only 33 QSOs on 40m. At 0600z quick QSY to 20m, worked
KL7RA, WH6Z, NH7T and KH6KW, heard some W6/7 but moved back to 40m.
On Saturday no luck with JAs short path. DP7D had JA Run, DA2X too. One of the
reasons because is - they are further north/east than me.
Took a 3h break, saw A Index is still high, moved to 10m band and enjoyed in S/P
with South American stations. I've tried 20/15m for the States, but worked only
several big guns.
WPX is RUN contest. No matter which band, if you have run or a lot of stations
on S/P, just do that. I decided to forget higher bands, moved to 40m, had a nice
run with many new EU prefixes. Between 1800z and 2030z I did some higher bands,
had a 30m USA RUN on 20m. Rest was 160/80/40m and 5.5h break time.
1.360 Qs, 2M Points. Now praying time for some US run for tommorow. :-)

Sunday:

80/40 no USA here on Sunrise. Did some W6/7 on 20m, as well as VK on LP. Had
nice 60 minutes  EU run on 40m, rest was S/P on 15 and 10m. Around 1000z some
JAs any BYs logged on 10m band. In thew mean time, S/P, some small Runs on 20m,
and waited for USA Run.
Started at 1300z at 21277 KHz. Almost 300 USAs till 1530z in the Log, and my
total score is raising and raising. Band closed here, moved to 10/15/20m S/P,
tried to collect new USAs, as well as MTPLs. Some small run on 80m, and 15m
opened again around 20z here, logged additional 80 USAs and finished at 2151z.

Even after UBN should be enough to claim new German record in SOAB(T/S) HP.

Some fun facts:
- I've used onlinescore to follow an epic battle between CR3DX and D4Z.
Hopefully, UBN will be good enough for D4Z to claim a new World record. Kudos!
- Serial numbers were a problem. Either I had to repeat myself many times, or my
correspondents had to do it several times. In every WPX SSB Contest there is a
one guy as highlight because you have to repeat a serial number at least 37
times.
- If I ask three times: is this frequency in use? - and there is no answer,
don't be angry and don't yell at me because this is bad excuse: the frequency
has been occupied for two hours, QSY, QSY! Don't be rude, this is just a hobby.
- I have more KLs than GWs in the log :-)
- Logged over 80 stations from Brasil.
- UBN will be interesting for all participants. My personal opinion is, all
those fake spots on DX-Cluster are very annoying.

Flexradio 6600, PGXL, Antenna Genius 8x2, DXLog
LZA 10 el 5 band beam (2 el 20/15/10m) 10m high
40m Spiderbeam ground plane
160/80m UA2FZ ground plane

73s, Zik DK8ZZ