[3830] WPX SSB LZ5R M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 27 17:48:59 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: LZ5R
Operator(s): YO7WC YO9WF LZ1NK LZ1NK LZ1ZF LZ3ZZ LZ5DB LU9ESD
Station: LZ5R

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Bulgaria

   40: 1188
   20: 1318
   15: 1956
   10: 1124

Club: Milara Contest Club

Comments:

Once again, a team of operators from 3 different countries (Romania, Bulgaria
and Argentina) were present here at LZ5R for a new edition of the always
entertaining WPX SSB.

 When we heard about the big geomagnetic storm on Thursday night, we wondered
what could happen to the propagation: The numbers and charts were scary, but
sometimes the reality seems different, especially depending on where you are in
the world.
 In general, the conditions were bad for us, especially on 10 and 20 meters,
where only on Sunday we had some interesting openings that let us increase the
number of points and multipliers. We suffered a lot with weak signals, the
strong and deep QSB and even the QRN that occurred in the last hours of Sunday.

We had a great time and focused on the race with ZF1A, with whom we exchanged
places on the scoreboard several times. We knew it was impossible to stay on
their heels, but it seems the conditions in the Caribbean were even stranger
than they were for us.

 Many thanks to YO9WF and YO7WC from Romania who drove here to be an essential
part of the team both running on in-band and in RUN. For me, as always, it is a
great pleasure and honor to be here, doing what we are passionate about,
learning every day and meeting more and more friends with whom we seem to have
known each other for a long time.

As for the station, everything worked as expected and it seems that Mr. Murphy
was on vacation outside Bulgaria: we had no problems during the 48 hours.
Here we also have all the engineering of our mastermind Velimir K3JO, deployed
in more than 1500 relays that make up the antenna server, which allows us to
select or change any available antennas (and any combination of them) on the
current band and change bands in milliseconds from any of the positions with a
single mouse click on DXLog’s windows.

All this is possible thanks to the passion, commitment and restless spirit of
Krassy K1LZ, who never stops thinking about improvements, automation and
innovations not only for his stations but for the HAM radio in general, now even
reducing his own carbon footprint by recently converting the station and
property to 100% solar energy.

Thank you all for the Q's and see you in the next contest and in Dayton in May!

Manu LU9ESD on behalf of the LZ5R team.