[3830] WPX SSB W6PNG SOAB TB-Wires HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 28 12:20:30 EDT 2023

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: W6PNG
Operator(s): W6PNG
Station: W6PNG

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Irvine, CA

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

DXPedition style with my HexBeam (10/15/20) and an Elecraft K4D/KPA500/KAT500 to
friends house on the UCI campus in Irvine, CA

Goal was simply to build out progress to DXCC phone and phone WAS for 10/15/20.

Maybe its the nature of the contest (or the inexperience of me) but Qs garnered
were from very different places than the ARRL DX SSB a few weeks earlier.
Propagation must play into that especially after a sun event Thursday before the
start. Virtually no EU stations nor JA. Lots of SA and of course USA stations.

I stupidly re-configured my K4D and didn't realize I had routed the main RX
antenna input for 15m to nowhere and hence the band looked dead to me.

Between this and ARRL DX SSB I added 30+ new countries and have 97 confirmed and
enough pending that I should get my phone DXCC after many many years!! That is
the downside to being a mountaintop SOTA guy.

All good, all fun and impressed with the K4D and my new "toy", an ARCO
rotator controller that is magic.

Paul
W6PNG/M0SNA
www.nomadic.blog